Thursday, May 31, 2007

Me ....4

My Mother:

Uma Devi is the second Daughter of M.S.Ramakrishna & Nagarathnamma.

Ramakrishna is a successful Advocate who practised for over Fifty years, in a small town called as Penukonda (is En route to Puttaparthi) in Andhra pradesh. Ramakrishna was the Brother in law of My Grand Uncle Sheshagiri Rao. He had Inherited the Legal Lineage from my Grand mother's Fore fathers, who were lawyers for over four generations.

Nagarathnamma a proficient artist , is well known in Andhra for her Mahila Mandali Movement, taught my mother various art forms. This successfully moulded my mother & her siblings as Artists, who had full confidence & a fantastic eye for detail.This build up of Confidence, Combined with heavy load of Positive approach made my mother to get her "I can do it " attitude .

My mother Joined her elder sister placed at my Grand uncle's house for her higher Education as Penukonda did not have a Junior college those days.

As time passed by, My Grand father Dr.Venkata Ramaiah, took notice of her abilities during his umpteen number of visits to my Grand uncle Sheshagiri Rao's home. He then put a marriage proposal to Mrs.Sheshagiri Rao, which in turn worked. My parents were Married on the 20th of May'1967

Mother was 17, then changed herself from Uma Devi to Padma (Later date she renamed herself as Padma Murthy).

The "I can do it Attitude" got her into hobby stitching, Painting, Knitting etc.As time passed by her talent in Knitting came to the fore & orders for sweaters started to pour in from Near & Dear. Mechanisation in our blood prompted her to borrow little money from my father to buy herself a Knitting Machine. This machine not only gave her the joy of knitting, but her time management skills were honed too. She peaked with her knitting business in the early parts of 1980 . Things were moving perfectly well, a few circumstances forced her to quit knitting.

  1. Her own health was falling down due to stress & the dust of knitting wool
  2. My Father havaing a slip disk & was advised bed rest. Instead of staying home, father chose to move his bed to the Workshop.
She slowed her pace down on knitting to move into our workshop as my father's care taker. During her stay in the workshop, her personal involvement in the daily affairs increased & few Accounting, Auditing & part stock checking systems started to fall into place.

Then on she's become a part & parcel of our working system & I would attribute our entire growth to her.
If it was not for her long sight, we would have enede up as an Non Authorised , single setup workshop, & would have perished in time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the story is very absorbing.. keenly awaiting the next part.:D

Venkat Shyam said...

Sandeep, Pl wait for a few days more.

The next part would make its way in.